babyCap™

11.12.2005

How long is a Preemie, a Preemie?

A couple of weeks ago, my mom and I ventured out to lunch with Isaac. When an admirer stopped to chat and ask how old he was, I gave his corrected age of 7 weeks. But I couldn't stop there. I had to further explain that he was born 13 weeks early making his actual age much older. How long will I feel the need to do this? And why? Josh says that it's way of acknowledging that he has been through so much more than a full-term baby. I would add that it's also recognizing all that we have been through as his parents. Whatever the reason, time will take care of it. Happy 5 months, Isaac!

3 Comments:

  • This is the best of all...except you can't see his beautiful red hair. I liked Laura's comments. I think sometimes we cannot comprehend things as they are happening to us, but often we have to go back and know them backwards like a series of replays until we can see and feel them clearly. Ad yes, time is a great leveler.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:43 PM  

  • oh...I remember those day's of the "corrected age" I think I did that for the first 3 years. The boys usually did things at their corrected age, the milestones that they get through is amazing to moms of preemies, because in the beginning you play it hour by hour and day by day. He sure is a cutie!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:29 PM  

  • thanks, Kaye!

    By Blogger LauraCap, at 7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home